Category Archives: Community

Twitter Analysis with #PowerBI & Plus One

Earlier this week Christopher Finlan put together this awesome Datazen dashboard using Plus One. Christopher has been doing a lot of cool things with Datazen so I recommend that you do like I did and subscribe to his blog. But Christopher’s cool work with Plus One inspired me to create my own Social Media dashboard using Plus One, as well.

powerbi search completePlus One has created this nifty little desktop application that you can download and install on your computer. Once you’ve set the app up, all you need to do is enter a search query. In my case, I wanted to see what people were doing and saying with Power BI on Twitter. Plus One can only recover the previous seven days of data, so you’ll need to periodically refresh your search or schedule the search, which you can do easily with the Plus One application. Continue reading Twitter Analysis with #PowerBI & Plus One

#PowerBI Fantasy Football Player Stats Dashboards for Download

Every year at Pragmatic Works some coworkers, including consultants, marketing staff, support team members, software development staff and project management, partake in a company fantasy football league. And with the recent release of the new Power BI Desktop, I thought what better way is there to prepare to completely annihilate my coworkers and friends in an imaginary nonsensical game than by creating some nifty Power BI dashboards based on last years player stats as recorded by Yahoo! Sports. So I thought I’d walk you through some of the steps I followed to leverage the Yahoo! Sports NFL player stats page as a data source and some of the query transformations I applied to prepare the data for reporting.

Power BI dashboard with Power BI Desktop Continue reading #PowerBI Fantasy Football Player Stats Dashboards for Download

Learn Designing a Data Warehouse from the Ground Up at SQL Saturday 442 Orlando, FL

image I’m very excited to announce that I’ve been selected to present a session entitled Designing a Data Warehouse from the Ground Up on October 10, 2015 in Orlando, Florida at Seminole State College of Florida! I’ll be presenting this session for the first time along side Mitchell Pearson (b|t). This is going to be an amazing event with tons of amazing, FREE training for everyone including SQL server newbies on up to those who have been in the profession for years. Continue reading Learn Designing a Data Warehouse from the Ground Up at SQL Saturday 442 Orlando, FL

Make a Difference as a Thought Leader: A Book Review

imageIf you’ve ever spoken at an event like a SQL Saturday or Code Camp, answered a question on a forum, written a blog post, or helped lead a discussion at your place of work then on some level you are already a Thought Leader. If you’re asking what a Thought Leader really is, you’re probably a lot like I was when I first started reading Denise Brousseau’s Ready to Be a Thought Leader. A Thought Leader is somebody that drives thinking and learning in a particular industry, group, or profession. These people are widely recognized as an expert and authority on their subject matter and a go-to-person for learning and insight into their field. Thought Leaders are men and women that take the time to increase their knowledge, share what they’ve learned, and make a difference in the lives of others in their niche. Ready to Be a Thought Leader demonstrates a seven step pattern laid out by Denise Brosseau instructing the reader on how to become an innovative, forwarding-thinking, cutting edge Thought Leader. Continue reading Make a Difference as a Thought Leader: A Book Review

Changes are A’comin’!

Over the last couple days you may have noticed some slight changes on my blog. Well believe you me when I say some more are coming! You may be asking yourself, “Self, what are all these changes for? Dustin’s blog was already great! Why mess with a good thing?” That’s a good question and one I hope to answer through this blog post.

Changes to my Blog

My WordPress blog site will be getting an upgrade! My current blog layout has served me well and I have always liked the look and feel but Continue reading Changes are A’comin’!

I’m Speaking at SQL Saturday #391 in Jacksonville, FL May 9th

image It’s that time of year again! SQL Saturday in Jacksonville, FL is upon us once again and I’m excited to be presenting a session titled, “Welcome to SSAS Tabular Models.” SQL Saturday #391 will be held on May 9th, 2015 in Jacksonville, Florida at the University of North Florida and is a totally free training event for SQL Server professionals and anyone wanting to learn about SQL Server!

My session is called, “Welcome to SSAS Tabular Models”, and will function as an introductory session on developing an SSAS Tabular model the right way. In this session I’ll discuss how to decide if building a Tabular model is the right choice, how to build a Tabular model completely from scratch, best practices you should follow, and things to avoid. If you’re new to Tabular Modeling or wanting to learn best practices, this will be a great session for you.

To get registered for SQL Saturday #391 completely for free, head over to SQLSaturday.com and click Register Now!

Learn to Design Tabular Models at SQL Saturday #298 Jacksonville, FL on 5/10/2014

I’m excited to announce that on Saturday May 10th in a couple Saturdays I’ll be speaking at SQL Saturday 298 in Jacksonville, FL! SQL Saturday in Jacksonville always has an awesome turnout and I love speaking at this event! There will be tons of great free training sessions from the likes of Devin Knight, Robert Cain, Andy Warren, Adam Jorgensen, Max Trinidad, and tons of other great experts! If you’re in the North Florida area on May 10, you need to get registered for this event!

The session I’ll be delivering is called What the Tabular??? and will start at 1:15 PM EST on Saturday, May 10th! If you’re interested in learning how to build a Tabular Model, how to follow Tabular Model design best practices, and how to decide if a Tabular Model is the right solution to your business problem, then my session What the Tabular??? is for you! It’s a great beginner sessions and will feature tons of demos and walkthroughs of the technology!

So if you’re nearby, definitely get signed-up for this awesome event! You won’t regret it!

Notes From SQL Saturday 168: Introduction To SSIS 2012

Thank you to everyone who attended my session, “SSIS 2012 In Yo’ Face: Introduction to SSIS”! I had a great time presenting and it was a whole lot of fun. Also, a big thank you to my co-presenter, Mitchell Pearson (blog | twitter)!

Also, thanks to everyone who attended my second bonus session, “What’s New In SSIS 2012”.

For those of you interested, here is the package we created in “SSIS 2012 In Yo’ Face”. Simple place the content of the zip file in the C:\Projects\SQLSaturday168 folder and unzip the SSIS project to the directory of your choice. If you have any questions, please feel free to post them here or send me a message on Twitter (@SQLDusty).

Again, thanks to everyone who came to my sessions! I hope you enjoyed the sessions and maybe even learned a little something.

SQL Rally 2012 Recap In Yo’ Face!

This past Thursday and Friday I attended my first PASS SQL Rally event in Dallas, Texas. The week was full of some pretty amazing sessions presented by some even more amazing speakers. If you were a DBA looking for performance tuning tips or other ways to perfect your profession, there were tons of great sessions for you. If you were a developer looking some great development tips and tricks to make your life easier, there were some really informative sessions given. And if you were a business intelligence developer, like myself, hoping to take your skills to the next level, there was definitely some amazing material to take advantage of.

I focused heavily on the business intelligence space and spent most of my time attending those sessions. I learned some great tips, increased my knowledge in several areas, and also networked a little with some really bright and great all-around people.

So What Sessions Did I Attend And What Did I Learn?

Performance Tuning SSAS Processing with John Welch

The first sessions I attended was Performance Tuning SSAS Processing given by John Welch (blog | twitter). There’s no doubt about, John knows his stuff. I learned a ton from his session. Here’s a few of the tips I picked up from John’s great sessions:

• Instead of bringing entire tables into your DSV, use views. Views will allow you to tweak the SQL and use query hints to improve the performance of the Select statement.
    • When Analysis Services processes data, it does so one buffer at a time. If AS detects duplicate rows in a buffer, it will aggregate the data. Because AS aggregates duplicate records, you can save on space and increase performance if you order the data in your Select statement in your partitions.
    • Tune SSAS processing in 3 steps:
      • Dimension Processing
      • Partition ProcessData
      • Partition ProcessIndexes
    • Set the AttributeHierarchyOptimize property to false for attributes that are not used in queries often or if the attribute has a high cardinality and a near 1:1 relationship with the key attribute.

The Report Part Library with Jessica Moss

The next session I attended was The Report Part Library with Jessica Moss (blog | twitter). Jessica is one lady who is an amazing speaker and an SSRS guru without a doubt. Jessica’s wonderful sense of humor and bubbly personality made the session enjoyable and exciting. We covered how to create report parts, share those report parts across multiple reports, and then update those same report parts. Jessica also covered how to organize and manage a large Report Part Library. It was really great to finally meet Jessica in person.

Stop! Consolidate and Listen! with Jorge Segarra

After lunch, I attend Jorge Segarra’s (blog | twitter) session called, “Stop! Consolidate and Listen!”. Jorge covered some of the different methods of consolidation and dug into virtualization. Between Jorge’s sad rap skills and Patrick Leblanc’s even weaker beat boxing, I managed to pick up a few pointers.

Some of the Pro’s to virtualization:

• Great isolation!
    • Flexibility
      • Snapshotting virtual machines (so if something goes horribly wrong, you can just roll back to the last snapshot)
      • Creating and dropping virtual machines is easy as pie
      • VM’s can be migrated across servers without having to be shut down!

Some of the Gotcha’s:

• Behind the scenes resources could actually be shared, so make sure you understand the systems that your VM’s are running on.

Also, check out the free MAP toolkit from Microsoft. Jorge gave a great intro into the tool and how to use it to determine which machines are prime candidates for consolidation and virtualization.

Data Mining with Devin Knight & Adam Jorgensen

The last session I attended was Data Mining with Devin Knight (blog | twitter) and Adam Jorgensen (blog | twitter). Being far less than a master of data mining, I really looked forward to this session.

Data mining does three things:

• Explores the data
  • Identifies patterns in the data
  • Performs predictions based on those identified patterns

There are several algorithms available for us to use:

• Decision tree
    • Allows us to see how someone could come to a decision?
  • Clustering
    • Measures the distances between the cluster of points on a graph and an outlier
    • This method is often used for fraud detection and data validation
  • Time Series
    • Predict 3 units (days, months, years, etc) into the future
    • Based on historical values
  • Sequence Clustering
    • Used to determine somebodies next step
    • Where will a person click next on a web site?
  • Association Rules
    • Market basket analysis
    • Amazon uses this: People who bought this also bought this.
  • Naïve Bayes
    • A data mining algorithm that is literally hundreds of years old
    • A classification algorithm that could be used to determine the differences between customer who buy a product and customers who do not buy a product.
  • Neural Networks
    • Typically used with FICO scores
    • Takes multiple factors into account but can’t really point to one or two things to tell you how it came to a decision

Zero To Cube: Fast Track To Analytics with Adam Jorgensen & Dustin Ryan

I also had the wonderful pleasure of presenting on SSAS with Adam Jorgensen (blog | twitter). Our session was titled, “Zero To Cube: Fast Track To Analytics”. We had volunteers (some were volunteered by others) drive through creating a cube from the ground up. Within an hour and 15 minutes, we created a connection to our data source, created the data source view, made some enhancements to the data source view, created our cube, built a couple hierarchies and fleshed out the dimensions, and even built a report in Excel with a pivot table and a chart. We had a great, very participative audience and we had a blast! Thank you so much to all those that came to our session!

All in all, this year’s SQL Rally was an amazing event. I learned a lot of new things, made some great friends, and had a great time. If you weren’t able to make the event, you missed out big time. Definitely put next years SQL Rally on your calendar and make attending that event a priority. You won’t be sorry.

Intro to MDX Session Slide Deck and MDX Script

Thanks to everyone who attended my session at SQL Saturday #130 in Jacksonville, FL a couple weeks back. I apologize for posting this so late, but better late than never. To download my session materials, just click this link. In it you’ll find my PowerPoint slide deck and the MDX script I used in the class. If you have any questions about what we went over or any questions regarding the materials, feel free to leave me a comment or shoot me an email. Thanks again to all those who attended… except the guy who gave me a “Did not meet expectations” on my presentation for “talking about SSAS too much”. Last I checked, SSAS and MDX were kind of related, right?